Learning about regular expressions is a nice change of pace from the proofs we were doing earlier on. I find it easier to think about and be able to manipulate in my head versus induction proofs where there are times i'm not entirely sure where the proof is going until the very end.
As the lectures run on, it is getting slightly more complicated as aspects of proofs are being introduced. I'm not fully understanding the DFSA diagrams, particularly accepting states but will look into it in the coursebook. I'm assuming that accepting states are when after an input string is being processed, it ends at a state with two circles. Then that leads me to the question, isn't it always possible to create a diagram given the string you want to process in mind? I suppose the diagram is always created before experimenting with the strings.
We've skipped a lot of material in the coursebook, though a lot of which have been covered in CSC165. I'm wondering if we'll be going back to it at some point, despite only having a few weeks left before exams begin. Our final assignment has been released and these upcoming weeks are going to be a little hectic, so I hope it isn't too bad.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your idea about accepting state(s) is correct. For a language consisting of a single string, you could easily write down a diagram that leads directly to the accepting state, where the edges are the characters in that string. When a language has many strings, you have to be a bit more crafty.
We'll cover most of the material in chapter 7, and touch chapter 8 this semester.
Post a Comment